Greenwich was originally founded in 1640, but the area in which the Stanton House Inn is located was not settled until 1672. Originally called Horseneck due to the pastureland used by settlers to graze their horses, the area remained largely rural for much of its existence.
The Stanton House Inn was built on land granted to the Reverend Richard Sackette during the time he was Pastor of the Second Congregational Church in 1717. The land was kept in the family for 150 years, and in 1840, Mr. John Sackette built the original structure on its present location.
With the construction of the railroad, Greenwich (which changed its name from Horseneck with the construction of the railroad to avoid sounding too provincial) became a get-away for wealthy families from New York City, such as the Rockefellers.
Mary A. (Sackette) Seaman and her husband Charles H. Seaman lived in what would become the Stanton House Inn until 1899. The house was then purchased by Edward & Susie A. Brush. At that time the house was enlarged to its present size and appearance, and the noted architect, Stanford White, was chosen to supervise the work.
The Brush family contributed much to the area and to the Town of Greenwich in particular. The Greenwich Library, Greenwich Hospital, Greenwich Academy, and the Brush Memorial Chapel felt the fine touch of Edward Brush.
In 1920, after the death of Edward Brush, the property was purchased by Theodore L. Pomeroy. Mrs. Pomeroy was active both in politics and the church. Many prominent statesmen and their wives attended the social functions held by Mr. & Mrs. Pomeroy.
In 1937, the house was purchased by Mrs. Nora Stanton Barney, who operated the house as an inn called Stanton House, named in honor of her grandmother, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, the renowned American feminist and social reformer. For the next quarter century the Stanton House was a popular gathering spot for travelers and residents alike.
From 1962 to 1983 it seemed that the Stanton House would not regain any of its original splendor until 1985 when Mr. Tog Pearson and his wife, Doreen, took an interest in it and began to restore the rooms and facilities. It has since become a well needed addition to the community in the form of a “Bed & Breakfast” Inn.
Greenwich’s prime location on beautiful Long Island Sound makes it the Gateway to New England. The perfect first stop for touring Still Revolutionary Connecticut, Greenwich also offers a convenient alternative for a visit to New York City, just thirty-five miles away and easily accessible by train or car.
The goal set by Mr. & Mrs. Pearson for the Stanton House Inn, almost 30 years ago, is to provide a comfortable home-away-from-home environment for their guests.
The Stanton House Inn welcomes you.
Historical research by:
Bill Finch, Jr.