- The Inn
- Vacation Guide
- Contact Us
How is the Stanton House Inn related to a brilliant man murdered in Madison Square Garden by the jealous husband of a previous lover? Read on to learn all the details of the Stanton House Inn’s property, the illustrious people connected to its past, and the very public murder that rocked early 1900s New York high society, and led to what was called the Trial of the Century. You can read even more Greenwich history on our blog.
Greenwich and neighboring Stamford were originally founded in 1640, but the area in which the Stanton House Inn is located was not settled until 1672. Originally called Horseneck due to the pastureland used by settlers to graze their horses, the area remained largely rural for much of its existence.
The Stanton House Inn was built on land granted to the Reverend Richard Sackette during the time he was Pastor of the Second Congregational Church in 1717. The land was kept in the family for 150 years, and in 1840, Mr. John Sackette built the original structure on its present location.
With the construction of the railroad, Greenwich (which changed its name from Horseneck with the construction of the railroad to avoid sounding too provincial) became a getaway for wealthy families from New York City, such as the Rockefellers.
Mary A. (Sackette) Seaman and her husband Charles H. Seaman lived in what would become the Stanton House Inn until 1899. The house was then purchased by Edward & Susie A. Brush. At that time, the house was enlarged to its present size and appearance. The noted architect Stanford White, designer of the famous Washington Square Arch in New York City, was chosen to supervise the work.
Shortly after the completion of the Seaman-Brush house (the official name of the Stanton House Inn), Stanford White was murdered by a very wealthy yet disturbed man in Madison Square Garden. Harry Kendall Thaw shot Stanford White at point-blank range for an affair with his then wife, Evelyn Nesbit. At the time of his death, the affair, which began when Nesbit was 16 years old and White was 47, had long-since ended.
The Brush family contributed much to the area and to the Town of Greenwich in particular. The Greenwich Library, Greenwich Hospital, Greenwich Academy, and the Brush Memorial Chapel felt the fine touch of Edward Brush.
In 1920, after the death of Edward Brush, the property was purchased by Theodore L. Pomeroy. Mrs. Pomeroy was active both in politics and the church. Many prominent statesmen and their wives attended the social functions held by Mr. & Mrs. Pomeroy.
In 1937, the house was purchased by Mrs. Nora Stanton Barney, who operated the house as an inn called Stanton House, named in honor of her grandmother, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, the renowned American feminist and social reformer. For the next quarter century, the Stanton House was a popular gathering spot for travelers and residents alike.
Sadly, from 1962 to 1983 the property declined and it seemed that the Stanton House would not regain any of its original splendor. Then, in 1985, Mr. Tog Pearson and his wife, Doreen, took an interest in the historic Connecticut inn and began to restore the rooms and facilities to their former glory. It has since become a well-needed addition to the community in the form of a “Bed & Breakfast” Inn.
Greenwich’s prime location on beautiful Long Island Sound makes it the Gateway to New England. The perfect first stop for touring Still Revolutionary Connecticut, Greenwich also offers a convenient alternative for a visit to New York City, just thirty-five miles away and easily accessible by train or car. But there are also an abundance of great things to do in Greenwich itself, as well as the surrounding area.
The goal set by the Pearson family for the Stanton House Inn almost 30 years ago is to provide a comfortable home-away-from-home environment for their guests in a historic and environmentally-friendly setting.
The Stanton House Inn welcomes you. Click here to view our accommodations.
Historical research by:
Bill Finch, Jr.